Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cleaning Up For Creatvity

I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions because, like most of you, I tend to set a high goal and then disappoint myself before February hits the calendar.  This year, however, I did set two goals in order to encourage my creative desires....one, to clean up and organize my scrapbook space; and two, to use up existing supplies before pouring more money into new supplies.  I hope you'll follow me here to see how I progress in both areas and I'll welcome comments with suggestions and encouragement!  :)

I am very blessed to have a dedicated room for my crafting, one that doesn't have to accomodate a guest bed or home office.  Unfortunately, having a 12 X 12 space seems to encourage my great drive to collect all manner of kitchsy and cute.  It also tends to become the family dumping grounds whenever we have an emergency let's-hide-all-the-junk-for-now moment.   Do you see where I'm headed with this?  Even though I have an entire room, I still struggle with keeping it organized and clean so I can get down to the business of cutting and pasting.

I've been working over the last several weeks to reclaim my scrapbook studio, purging as much as I could stand and paring down some of my knick knacks.  My wonderful parents, who have been encouraging my artistic side my entire life, contributed further by gifting me with an amazing Workbox for Valentine's Day!!  It has helped tremendously, stowing away nearly all of my embellishments and consumable supplies.  It's been such fun arranging the interior and I now have it just right and swoon every time I open the thing!  I plan to do a post soon showing more of how I organized the studio and the Workbox.  

Have you ever noticed how hard it is to clean up your scrappin area because you find so many cool things to play with?  Yeah, me, too!  I kept finding little bits and bobs here and there and my ADD brain would begin to piece together a card!  The good news is that while rediscovering "new old" embellishments and reviewing stacks of carefully hoarded patterned paper, I was greatly inspired and in the last week, I have been creating cards and even completed a layout for the first time in way too long!  Yay!!  It feels really good. 

Next I'll talk about my efforts to use up supplies and curtail spending on my passion, a topic I'm sure we all know far too well!  Thanks for visiting my blog and I'll hope you'll continue to visit me here.

1 comment:

  1. Facebook/debbie.j.dunn.94March 17, 2013 at 7:08 PM

    Donna, I am So Proud of you and your Accomplishements and you eye on the Future and The Past. The Past Holds So Many Wonderful Memories of all the Wonderful things we got to see and watches and participate in History. I know for Me
    I have enjoyed being able to grow up in the 50's with all the Great Musics and Beautiful Fashion and The Most Fabulas Cars and The Most Glamous Movie Stars and we got to experience some of the Most wonderful Movies Ever. I have Many of the Same Intrests as you do, I follow movies some from the 20' all the way to the Very Early 60's are my Favorite. I Love Comediess, Film Noire, Romance and Westerns. I Do Not care for Science Fiction, Futurestic or Today's Style of Violence. I Love your Style of Collecting with the Nursery items of 40's- 50's. They make me Happy when I see them. I have also Loved being Creative, I first try my had at Design and Hand Sewing Barbie Doll Clothes by using the Fabric from my pants being cut off because they were too long. For Some Reasom I sewed my Ses on the Outside!!! LOL, I made Barbie Bell Bottoms with Lt Blue Ric Rac because that is what I had, I too Homemaking in 7th Grade and have seen ever since. I made all my clothes from PJ's, Robes, Drill Team practice out fits to the Dress we wore at School on Friday's, I made my School Clothes, My Prom Dress's and even the clothes I wore in my Hoing Away outfit at my first Wedding. I guess I was in 6th grade when I taught myself to Embroidery and Crochet during High School Years, I learned Cross Stitch, Crewl, Needle Point too. I have yet to really master Knitting. I have Painted with Acrylic and Sime Oil Paints not perfected that or Decated enough time to that. I Alway enjoyed Coloring and even Melted my Crayons with Wax Paper and even a Gas Heater!! Yikes!!! I love to watch it Melt!!! I have tried Caligraphy ( that requires a lot of Practice and Patience. Then I got into Scrapbooking, oh my Disasterous. Stickers Flying in the Air Pictures cut up )Destroyed with Decorative Scissors!!! Then I wanted to know more and found New Friends and My Obsession took off to Greater Heights that compare to None!! I find it Thrilling to Purchase New Gadgets
    And All kinds of stuff! From about winter 2007 - Summer 2012 I only bought a Few Cricuts and Cartridges. I didn't have a Place to Scrapbook or to Organize my things So I stopped buying, I got out if the Loop. This made me Very Unhappy, All my things were upstairs blocked in or in Storage. I thought This Won't Do!! So I started with Basic Tools again. Just enough to go to a Friends house. We, to Tell you the Truth I haven't stopped yet!! I discovered a Bunch of New Stuff like Martha Stewart Punches, Anna Griffin's New Stuff! And of course Tim Holtz Sizzix Dies and All the Stuff he has I My Gosh!! I have mananaged the Dies and The Vagabond and all his Tools and Now I'm trying to collect his Ink Pads and
    Markers and Alcohol Inks, Papers and findings!! There IS NO END to TIM HOLTZ Stuff!! All these years I have been waiting for a Scrapbook Room and My Daughtet is moving into her New Townhouse This Coming Friday!! So Now I will Have My Room!! Look Out when I get that Room Done, big Project. Some in two Storage Rooms we Rent some in my Sewing Room Stored and My New stuff I have been Buying since August!! So Donna I Hope I can Make My Scrapbook Room Anna Griffin Shabby Chic!!
    I hope Also to be able to one day get A Original Scrapbox WorkBox of My Very Own!
    Donna I wish You The Very Best with you Blog, I know it will be very Interesting. I know I wrote you a Ton but Maybe you learned a little bit more about me too. I Love You Donna, You Alway Inspire me with your Beautiful Spirit!! Love Debbie Dunn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and comment. I love hearing from you and enjoy your feedback very much!